Ben is back from retreat #2 for Tuple. It may not have been as good as the first retreat, but was still above baseline productivity. The team worked on refactoring the app. Then, he went to CocoaHeads, which is for MacOS X and iOS developers to discuss Apple's Cocoa and CocoaTouch.
Derrick will be speaking about Level at the local Elixir meetup. He is excited to dive deeper into using Elixir and reading books about it. Then, he plans to share what he learns and encourage others to not be intimidated by more powerful concepts in Elixir.
Today’s Topics Include:
- Ben talks about climbing; if he’s not good at something, that makes him feel bad, so he needs to overcome such a feeling
- Derrick has been trying to figure out strategically how to provide a valuable service around Level’s open source code base; needs to put in the effort of learning how it’ll work
- Importance of developing DevOps skills, knowledge - whether it’s you or in-house experts
- As Derrick rapidly builds features for Level, he is tempted to either skimp on full-comprehensive testing or taking extra steps to refactor features into their ideal form
- Derrick and Ben both are figuring out where they should be and where they should focus their time and efforts as they create their new products
- Speed and quality are not traded off for one another; code has to be good to be added to and changed later quickly
- Share what you’ve done with others to be reviewed and receive feedback; plus share your thoughts via Twitter with Ben and Derrick on how they can improve their podcast!
Links and resources: