While Derrick is away, Ben welcomes Don Goodman-Wilson, who was the first hire at Screenhero in 2013.
Don shares his version of Screenhero’s incredible journey, its migration to Slack, and Tuple coming to the rescue. Better late than never!
Today’s Topics Include:
- Work Ethic/Culture: Doctorate in philosophy requires logic and dedication
- Engineering Challenges: Learning low-level C/C++ code in Screenhero product
- Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac: Harmonizing code bases
- Web Application Programming: User interface (UI), reliability, latency, quality, and billing
- Product/Market Fit: Quick growth, adoption, and implementation of Screenhero
- Pair Programming: Personal and professional sharing and collaboration
- Second Day at First Expo: Atlassian’s interest, followed by Slack’s acquisition
- Platform of Choice: Who’s the best partner to work with to achieve Screenhero’s goals?
- In and Out of the Sandbox: Screenhero’s prone to crashing and uses private APIs
- Slack destroyed Screenhero: Expectations and compromises created culture clash
- Heartbreaking, Rational Reality: Removal of remote screen control in Slack calls
- Maintainerati’s Mission: Understand challenges and offer solutions for maintaining open source software
Links and resources:
Derrick Reimer Website
Derrick Reimer on Twitter
Ben Orenstein Website
Ben Orenstein on Twitter